(note: this is in response to both annaetc and shesagoodegg tagging me.)
1) my dearest college friend, leslie, and i lived together for three years with an ever-rotating third roommate. once, we went to the international student office to get a roommate. we had a guy from italy live with us because we were convinced that he would be all euro and cool and stylish. he was definitely not. he got off the plane wearing stone washed jeans and a fannypack. he put a picture of himself cupping his face in his hands on his bedroom door. below it, he put up a sheet of paper that said, “there are only 10 kinds of people in this world. those who understand binary, those who don’t.” oh, and he went through my underwear drawer. leslie and i went away for a weekend, she came back early, my underwear was all over my room, she asked our lovely roommate, he immediately blamed the cats because they were “looking guilty all day”. cats do not have opposable thumbs (focker) for opening drawers nor can they handle delicate fabrics without tearing. we kicked him out, he cried, it was totally awkward.
2) i have had extremely random jobs in my past. i’ve worked as: finance intern, entertainment public relations intern, piano teacher, hostess/secretary at a market research firm, researcher at a museum (aka professional creep - paid to lurk in corners and stare at people), researcher looking at technology integration in teacher preparation, researcher for a real estate broker, tutor, policy researcher, cooking school assistant.
3) i used to be really adverse to planning and routine. now, as my life is steadily less routine, i really crave certain structures in my life - sitting down for breakfast, making list after list, putting little check boxes in my multiple schedules and journals for things to do. without these things, i feel like things are slipping wildly out of control.
4) i have a thing about words. i can tell you within a matter of seconds how many letters are in a word or group of words i see or hear. i count letters when i’m bored with a conversation or situation. also, i was obsessed with reading as a kid. well i guess i still am. anyway, an outcome of this was that i was a pretty good speller when i was little. i won our school spelling bee from grades 1 to 8 and also won the l.a. county spelling bee two years in a row.
5) i am a huge putterer. when matt is relaxing by laying on the couch and watching tv (like a normal person), i am relaxing by pushing plants around on the windowsill, checking the contents of our cupboards, poking my head into random rooms with no real purpose, checking the soap levels in our soap dispensers, and other really useful tasks.